References Articles Supporting ABA Services
- Anderson, S. R., Avery, D. L., DiPietro, E. K., Edwards, G. L., and
Christian, W. P. (1987). Intensive home-based early intervention with
autistic children. Education and Treatment of Children, 10 (4), 352-366.
- Baer, D. M. (1993). Commentaries on McEachin, Smith and Lovaas:
Quasi-random assignment can be as convincing as random assignment. American
Journal on Mental Retardation, 97 (4), 373-380.
- Baer, D. M. & Sherman, J. (1964). Reinforcement of generalized
imitation in young children. Journal of Experimental Child Psychology, 1,
- Bennett, F. C. & Guralnick, M.J. (1991). Effectiveness of developmental
intervention in the first five years of life. Pediatric Clinics of North
America, 38 (6), 1513-1528.
- Bryson, S. E., Clark, B. S. and Smith, I. (1988). First report of a
Canadian epidemiological study of autistic syndromes. Journal of Child
Psychology and Psychiatry, 29 (4), 433-445.
- Cattell-Gordon, D & Cattell-Gordon, D. (1998). The development of an
effective applied behavior analysis program for a young child with autism.
Infants and Young Children, 10 (3), 79-85.
- Cautilli, Hancock, Thomas, & TilIman (2002) Behavior Therapy and Autism:
Issues in Diagnosis and Treatment - The Behavior Analyst Today, 3 (2), 230
- Dawson, G. & Osterling, J. (1997). Early intervention in autism. In M.
J. Guralnick (Ed.), The Effectiveness of Early Behavioral Intervention (pp.
307-326). Baltimore: Paul H. Brookes Publishing
- Fenske, E. C., Zalenski, S., Krantz, P. J. and McClannahan, L. E.
(1985). Age at intervention and treatment outcome for autistic children in a
comprehensive intervention program. Analysis and Intervention on
Developmental Disabilities, 5 (1), 49-58.
- Ferster, C. B. (1961). Positive reinforcement and behavioral deficits of
autistic children. Child Development, 32, 437-456.
- Ferster, C. B. & DeMyer, M. A. (1962). A method for the experimental
analysis of the behavior of autistic children. American Journal of
Orthopsychiatry, 32, 89-98.
- Ford, L., Riggs, K. S., Nissenbaum, M. and LaRaia, J. (1994).
Facilitating desired behavior in the preschool child with autism: A case
study. Contemporary Education, 65 (3), 148-151.
- Fotheringham, J. B. (1991). Autism: Its primary psychological and
neurological deficit. Canadian Journal of Psychiatry, 36, 686-692.
- Foxx, R. M. (1993). Rapid effects awaiting independent replication.
American Journal on Mental Retardation, 97 (4), 375-376.
- Goodman, J. F. (1992). When Slow is Fast Enough: Educating the Delayed
Preschool Child. New York, New York: The Guilford Press.
- Green, G. (1996). Early behavioral intervention for autism: What does
research tell us? In C. Maurice (Ed.), Green, G. (Ed.), and Luce, S. C.
(Ed.) Behavioral Intervention for Young Children With Autism: A Manual for
Parents and Professionals (pp. 29-44). Austin, Texas: Pro-ed.
- Gresham, F. M. & MacMillan, D. L. (1997). Autistic Recovery? An analysis
and critique of the empirical evidence on the Early Intervention Project.
Behavioral Disorders, 22 (4), 185-201.
- Gresham, F. M. & MacMillan, D. L. (1997). Denial and defensiveness in
the place of fact and reason: Rejoinder to Smith and Lovaas. Behavioral
Disorders, 22 (4), 219-230.
- Gresham, F. M. & MacMillan, D. L. (1998). Early intervention Project:
Can its claims be substantiated and its effects replicated? Journal of
Autism and Developmental Disorders, 28 (1), 5-13.
- Guralnick, M. J. (1997). (Ed.) The Effectiveness of Early Intervention,
Toronto: Paul H. Brookes Publishing.
- Harris, S. L., Handleman, J.S., Gordon, R., Kristoff, B. and Fuentes, F.
(1991). Changes in cognitive and language functioning of preschool children
with autism. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 21 (3), 281-290.
- Hewett, J. M. (1965). Teaching speech to an autistic child through
operant conditioning. American Journal of Orthopsychiatry, 35, 927-936.
- Howlin, P. & Rutter, M. (1987). Treatment of Autistic Children, Toronto:
John Wiley and Sons
- Kanner, L. (1943). Autistic disturbances of affective contact. Nervous
Child, 2, 217-251.
- Kazdin, A. E. (1993). Replication and extension of behavioral treatment
of autistic disorder. American Journal on Mental Retardation, 97 (4),
- Koegel, R. L. & Koegel, L. K. (1995). (Ed.) Teaching Children with
Autism: Strategies for Initiating Positive Interactions and Improving
Opportunities, Toronto: Paul H. Brookes Publishing.
- Kohler, F. W. , Strain and Shearer (1996). Examining levels of social
inclusion within an integrated preschool for children with autism. In L. K.
Koegel (Eds.), R.L. Koegel (Eds.) and G. Dunlap (Eds.), Positive Behavioral
Supports: Including People with Difficult Behavior in the Community,
(pp.305-322), Toronto: Paul H. Brookes Publishing.
- Lovaas, O. I. (1987). Behavioral treatment and normal educational and
intellectual functioning in young autistic children. Journal of Consulting
and Clinical Psychology, 55, 3-9.
- Lovaas, O. I., Berberich, J. P., Perloff, B. F. and Schaeffer, B.
(1966). Acquisition of imitative speech by schizophrenic children. Science,
- Luce, S. C., Christian, W. P., Anderson, S. R., Troy, P. J. and Larsson,
E. V. (1992). Development of a continuum of services for children and adults
with autism and other severe behavior disorders. Research in Developmental
Disorders, 13 (1), 9-25.
- McCain, M. N. & Mustard, J. F. (1999). Reversing the Real Brain Drain:
Early Years Study Final Report. Toronto: Publications Ontario.
- McClannahan, L. E. & Krantz, P. J. (1997). Princeton Child Development
Institute. Behavior and Social Issues, 7 (1) 65-68.
- McEachin, J. J., Smith, T. and Lovaas, O. I. (1993). Long-term outcome
for children with autism who received early intensive behavioral treatment.
American Journal on Mental Retardation, 97 (4), 359-372.
- Maurer, R. G. & Damasio, A. R. (1982). Childhood autism from the point
of view of behavioral neurology. Journal of Autism and Developmental
Disorders, 12 (2), 195-205.
- Maurice, C. (Ed.), Green, G., (Ed.), and Luce, S. C. (Ed.), (1996).
Behavior Intervention for Young Children with Autism: A Manual for Parents
and Professionals, Austin, Texas: Pro-ed.
- Menolascino, F. J. & Eyde, D. R. (1979). Biophysical basis of autism.
Journal of Council for Children with Behavioral Disorders, 5 (1), 41-47.
- Metz, J. R. (1965). Conditioning generalized imitation in autistic
children. Journal of Experimental Child Psychology, 2, 389-399.
- Meyer, R. G. & Hardaway Osborne, Y. (1987). Case Studies in Abnormal
Behavior, Toronto: Allyn and Baron.
- Mulick, J. A. (1999). Making a difference: Comments on Weiss. Behavior
Interventions, 14 (1), 29-34.
- Ornitz, E. M. & Ritvo, E. R. (1976). The syndrome of autism: A critical
review. The American Journal of Psychiatry, 133 (6), 609-623.
- Ozonoff, S. & Cathcart, K. (1998). Effectiveness of a home program
intervention for young children with autism. Journal of Autism and
Developmental Disorders, 28 (1), 25-32.
- Ritvo, E. R. & Freeman, B. J. (1978). Current research on the syndrome
of autism: The National Society for Autistic Children's definition of the
syndrome of autism. American Academy of Child Psychiatry, 565-575.
- Romanczyk, R. G. (1999). Comments on Weiss. Behavioral Interventions, 14
- Rosenberger-Dibiesse, J. & Coleman, M. (1986). Brief report: Preliminary
evidence for multiple etiologies in autism. Journal of Autism and
Developmental Disorders, 16 (3), 385-392.
- Sheinkopf, S. J. & Siegel, B. (1998). Home-based behavioral treatment of
young children with autism. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders,
28 (1), 15-23.
- Schopler, E. (1989). Principles for directing both educational treatment
and research. In C. Gillberg (Ed.) Diagnosis and Treatment of Autism,
167-183, New York: Plenum Press.
- Sigman, M. & Capps, L. (1997). Children with Autism: A Developmental
Perspective, London: Harvard University Press.
- Smith, T. & Lovaas, O. I. (1997). The UCLA Young Autism Project: A reply
to Gresham and MacMillan. Behavioral Disorders, 22 (4), 202-218.
- Smith, T. & Lovaas, O. I. (1998). Intensive and early behavioral
intervention with autism: The UCLA Young Autism Project. Infants and Young
Children, 10 (3), 67-78.
- Smith, T. (1999). Outcome of early intervention for children with
autism. Clinical Psychology: Science and Practice, 6 (1), 33-49.
- Sundberg and Michael. "A Collection of Reprints on Verbal Behavior"
(Behavior Analysts, Inc.) 1998.
- Waters, L. (1990). Reinforcing the empty fortress: An examination of
recent research into the treatment of autism. Educational Studies, 16 (1),
- Weiss, M. J. (1999). Differential rates of skill acquisition and
outcomes of early intensive behavioral intervention for autism. Behavior
Interventions, 14 (1), 3-22.
- Wing, L. (1979). Autistic Children: A Guide for Parents and
Professionals. Seraucus, New Jersey: The Citadel Press.
- Wolf, L. & Goldberg, B. (1986). Autistic children grow up: An eight to
twenty-four year follow-up study. Canadian Journal of Psychiatry, 31,
- Wolf, M. M., Risely, T. and Mees, H. (1964). Application of operant
conditioning procedures to the behavior problems of an autistic child.
Behavior Research and Therapy, 1, 305-312.